Public Webinar - October
Countdown to COP26: the UN climate summit
October 26, 2021 | 3pm - 4pm UK (10am - 11am EDT)
In early November, world leaders will gather in Glasgow for the COP26 summit, the most important meeting since the 2015 meeting that yielded the Paris Agreement. The latest IPCC report on the state of the global climate, issued a few months ago underlines the urgency and seriousness of climate action. The world is not on course to limit the increase in surface temperature since pre-industrial times to 1.5 degrees Celsius. The consequences, as presented in the IPCC’s scenarios, are severe.
Fears that the pandemic would relegate climate-action on the agenda of major governments have not come to pass: many major emitters have announced targets to reach net-zero carbon emissions by the middle of this century. However, major divides remain between developed and developing states over how the remaining ‘carbon budget’ will be spent, and who should foot the bill for greening the less-developed economies if they cannot burn coal as others before them have done. Within countries, too, there are many unanswered questions as to how their net-zero targets will be achieved.
By attending this webinar, you will be able to answer these questions:
- How much progress has been made thus far in the effort to arrest climate change, and what do the IPCC’s latest scenarios tell us about the choices that lie ahead?
- What agreements do COP26’s organisers hope to achieve and what will be the main points of friction at the summit?
- Are developed and developing state visions for climate action compatible? And which states have most to lose if COP26 does not deliver?
A discussion between:
- CP Chandrasekhar, Economy Consultant and former Professor at the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India, Oxford Analytica Expert Network
- Liam Saddington, ESRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Lecturer, Jesus College, Oxford Analytica Expert Network
- Shiloh Fetzek, Senior Fellow for International Affairs at the Center for Climate and Security, Research Coordinator for the International Military Council on Climate and Security (IMCCS), Oxford Analytica Expert Network
Chair: Nick Redman, Director of Analysis, Oxford Analytica
Registering for this webinar
Register now to join us live on October 26, 3pm UK | 10am ET.
Who should attend?
This is a public webinar open to anyone interested in COP26 and climate change. It will benefit those who are involved in private sector organisations as well as senior executives in ESG, legal services, finance, government affairs, public policy, defence ministries and intelligence agencies.