Public Webinar - November 2022
The avoidable war? US-China tensions and the view from Beijing
Wednesday November, 09 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm UK | 09:00 am - 10:00 am ET
Following the 20th Party Congress in China and the midterm elections in the US, it's critical to reassess what these events tell us about the future shape of the US-China relationship. Join us for a webinar with a star panel including Kevin Rudd, former PM of Australia and President of the Asia Society, and Professor Rana Mitter, Director of the University of Oxford China Centre. They will also be joined by Benjamin Charlton, Senior Analyst for APAC at Oxford Analytica, and Adam Jarczyk, MD for APAC research at FrontierView. Expect a range of perspectives and a deep dive into the way China perceives and intends to shape this crucial relationship, with implications for policymakers and business leaders around the world.
During this webinar, our expert panel will answer the following questions:
- What does the 20th Party Congress tell us about the likelihood of a Chinese invasion of Taiwan? How should we think about the risk of that event and the time horizon we should be monitoring it over?
- US actions against Chinese tech companies recently showcased a significant escalation in US efforts to contain China's ability to be self-sufficient in high technologies. What lessons is China's leadership likely to draw from this and what kind of response should we expect?
- How do China's domestic economic challenges such as the slowdown in the property market and the economic implications of zero-COVID policies affect policy priorities? Should we expect China's government to be more domestically-focused over the next 12-18 months based on what we heard from the party congress recently?
- How does the risk of invasion of Taiwan and possible US response affect the overall security framework within the APAC region overall? How is this affecting the policy priorities of markets like Japan, Australia, India?
- What are the key lessons China has learned from Russia's war in Ukraine that may inform their international stance going forward? Is there a scenario in which China ends its support for Russia?
- How are multinational companies managing these risks, particularly as it affects their supply chain exposure in China?
A discussion between:
- Kevin Rudd, former PM of Australia, President of the Asia Society
- Professor Rana Mitter, Professor of the History and Politics of Modern China, University of Oxford, Oxford Analytica Region Head
- Benjamin Charlton, Senior Analyst, Asia Pacific, Oxford Analytica
- Adam Jarczyk, Managing Director for APAC research, FrontierView
Moderator: Martina Bozadzhieva, Chief Research Officer, FrontierView
Registering for this webinar
Register now to join us live on November 9, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm UK | 09:00 am - 10:00 am ET
Who should attend?
This is a public webinar open to those navigating complex markets and assessing risk in the year ahead and those who are in foreign and defence ministries, intelligence agencies, as well as senior executives and those involved in government affairs, legal services and finance, public policy.
Each session is supported by a background briefing curated by our team of expert analysts who produce our flagship publication, the Oxford Analytica Daily Brief. These in-depth briefings are circulated to attendees in advance of each call and are available as written articles published in the Daily Brief.