Deep Dive Webinar - May
Emerging markets take on tech
May 19, 2021 | 3:00pm - 4:00pm UK (10:00am - 11:00am EDT)
The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the growth of the digital economy across emerging markets. From eCommerce and Edtech to Telehealth and Teleconferencing, digital services are now critical for those with affordable and reliable internet.
Every digital trend is creating new opportunities for users, policymakers and businesses but also new challenges. Online tools are facilitating communication but also unprecedented circulation of harmful disinformation. Digital services are narrowing financial and healthcare access gaps, but privacy protections and cybersecurity are far from perfect. Issues of data monopolies and data localisation run counter to needs of local innovation and cross-border digital integration. Global technological supply chain integration risks undercutting national security.
Find out how decision-makers in three important emerging markets -- India, Brazil and Africa -- will foster a vibrant, profitable and also secure and responsible digital ecosystem.
By attending this webinar, you will be able to answer these questions:
- Sobriety: Can policymakers across India, Brazil and Africa ensure that online communication is sober and safe from misuse by foreign and domestic actors?
- Shareability: How will India, Brazil and Africa strike the balance between fostering local innovation and promoting integration with the global digital economy?
- Security: What risks and opportunity does the US-China tech rivalry pose to these three high-potential developing markets?
A discussion between:
- CP Chandrasekhar, Economy Consultant and former Professor at the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India
- David Skelton, Strategy and Innovation Team, Google
- Elena Gadjanova, Lecturer in Politics, University of Exeter, United Kingdom
- Yasodara Córdova, Ford Foundation Mason Fellow, Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation, Harvard University, United States
Chair: Megha Kumar, Deputy Director of Analysis, Oxford Analytica
Registering for this webinar
This is Oxford Analytica’s second technology webinar this year. Our first, which was held in February, examined the state of play in the world’s largest digital markets -- the United States, Europe and China. Access it here.
Who should attend?
This deep dive is a closed webinar only for Oxford Analytica clients. It will benefit those who are in foreign and defence ministries, intelligence agencies, as well as senior executives and those involved in government affairs, legal services and finance, public policy. Not a client? Find out more about the service and how we can help you navigate complex markets.
Each session is supported by a background briefing curated by our team of expert analysts who produce our flagship publication, the Oxford Analytica Daily Brief. These in-depth briefings are circulated to attendees in advance of each call and are available as written articles published in the Daily Brief.