Deep Dive Webinar - July
Global prospects in mid-2021: primed for recovery?
July 21, 2021 | 3pm - 4pm UK (10am - 11am EDT)
More than at any point in the last two decades, the developed and developing world appear on diverging paths. Developed states sustained themselves through the first year of COVID-19 by means of extraordinarily loose monetary and fiscal policy, while reserving for themselves the lion’s share of vaccines. Developing states, China aside, lacked the fiscal and monetary tools to protect their economies and today are trailing far behind their developed counterparts on vaccination. It leaves the developed world with a reasonably clear path to rebuild, while for developing states the way is littered with hurdles.
For developed and developing states alike, the return of inflation clouds the outlook for the next 12-18 months. Also, the pledges to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by mid-century imply radical changes in the structure and operation of national economies within the next decade; whether these will be easier to engineer in the current extraordinary circumstances, rather than normal ones, is moot. The confluence of these pressures, on polities and societies strained by lockdowns and disruption, makes for especially turbulent political conditions for the rest of this year and into 2022.
Our mid-year Prospects call will consider the prospects for major developed and developing markets against this backdrop. On this webinar, the questions we will be discussing include:
- Can the US sustain its vigorous rebound and build back better, or will inflation and polarised politics cause a derailment?
- Can EU states emulate the US success amid a series of consequential elections?
- What lies in store for China, and its less well-placed peers in the BRICS?
A discussion between our in-house analysts:
- Dr Giles Alston, Senior Analyst, North America
- Benjamin Charlton, Senior Analyst, Asia Pacific
- Sarah Fowler, Analyst, International Economy
- Dr Jill Hedges, Deputy Director of Analysis
- John MacLeod, Senior Analyst, Russia/CIS
- Dr Joydeep Sen, Senior Analyst, Asia Pacific
- Niall Walsh, Analyst, Western Europe
- Dr Laura James, Senior Middle East Analyst
Chair: Dr Megha Kumar, Deputy Director of Analysis
Registering for this webinar
Who should attend?
This deep dive is a closed webinar only for Oxford Analytica clients. It will benefit those who are in foreign and defence ministries, intelligence agencies, as well as senior executives and those involved in government affairs, legal services and finance, public policy. Not a client? Find out more about the service and how we can help you navigate complex markets.
Each session is supported by a background briefing curated by our team of expert analysts who produce our flagship publication, the Oxford Analytica Daily Brief. These in-depth briefings are circulated to attendees in advance of each call and are available as written articles published in the Daily Brief.